Summer is here and we in the Northern Hemisphere know it. It has been hot hot hot. Yes, we definitely suffer and sweat and commiserate, but what about the voiceless? What about our lovely cats and dogs who are stuck in the house while we are at our air-conditioned offices? Not all of us have central air conditioning at home. In fact, most Angelenos don’t because it’s supposed to be a somewhat temperate environment. That doesn’t mean that it doesn’t get hot as Hades sometimes (a few weeks ago, it surpassed 100!). It is desperately important to keep your beloved furry friend cool at home. Here are a few ways you can:
With Spring here and it feeling like Summer in California, the desire for fresh food comes forth. Raw, fresh food but certainly not lacking flavor. So it was, a Saturday night, hanging with my brother and his girlfriend, Sophie. Sophie is an excellent cook and has a lot of experience doing so. She was going to make us tacos–perfectly cooked steak for everyone and wild-caught fish for me. I was all in. Growing up in California, tacos become your soul food. Along with tacos, come the necessity of the avocado in one’s life. Rich with delicious healthy fat and the creaminess to save any dish, I was ready to be her sous chef and make the side dish–fresh Avocado & Tomato salad.
Back in August, I saw that the American Swimming Coaches Association (ASCA) was launching a new course to become a Certified Summer Swim Coach. For those of you who are unaware, summer swim teams can be so much different from your standard club or high school teams. The competitors can often be those who face one another in other more competitive seasons. They use this format to bridge the summer gap and stay in shape while working on and developing new skills.
For many, the level of commitment and attendance is insignificant in comparison to their other teams and as a result, the coach is faced with endless new challenges. Since swimming is such a competitive sport, you’re faced with going into meets with a fraction of your team. Often, that small group are your least experienced and skilled swimmers, but you have to make due because swim meet scoring can be tremendously one-sided, and that looks bad to say the least.
Goals are supremely important when it comes to fitness. Unfortunately, Hungry and I aren’t always great at having them. However, this summer (a little late), I’ve decided to change that! And by summer, I mean until late September. Goals help you fight harder toward something and give you purpose as you are working out. Goals can have a HUGE range: someone can have a goal of lowering their body fat percentage while another want to increase their splits by another inch. It can really be anything fitness, sport or health related. Just set something.
Check out this video if you’re looking for a fun, yet effective way of not just getting that summer look but also building your strength and conditioning level. Maybe you want to look better while you play sports on the beach with your friends or family. Maybe you want to finish that final peak on your summer hikes while on vacation. These simple exercises don’t require the most expensive equipment and we suggest modifications for what you may not have.
By complete accident, this is the most delicious, simple, and healthy protein shake I have ever made. It’s been about 90+ degrees all week here, and today I chose to wear long-legged under-armor (I’m a trainer so I wear workout gear to work), and unfortunately, the AC in the trainer office was broken. On the ride home, my heat kept rising and I knew I needed something cold, refreshing, and nutritious. After all, I am still prepping for contest. This is also the first time I’ve had protein powder since my protein shake hell week, so I was a little nervous because my at the end of that week, my body started feeling disgusted towards that stuff. But don’t worry, it was allllll good. Please follow this SIMPLE on-a-whim recipe for a healthy delicious protein shake. Here are the macros:
[Yup. That’s it.]
THAT’S IT. Ridiculously simple. I was actually in awe when I first tasted it. I really didn’t expect it to be that delicious. What’s better than chocolate and strawberries? Exactly. Look at those macros and tell me this isn’t perfect. You will feel so full and so satisified after (I felt like this was a cheat meal because it was so delicious, but it was the opposite). DEFINITELY use this to stay hungry and fit!
You might also like…
BONUS KITTY PIC
As some of you might have noticed we have been working to update the website as often as possible. We are trying to expand what we do and can offer. Fit and I constantly donate items to the Salvation Army and other non-profit organizations. We are firm believers in recycling, up-cycling and being generous. While we might not be wealthy individuals in terms of what is in our bank accounts, we have more than enough and are very happy. That is why we have created a new page on the site that can be found under the tab “Giveaways.” Every month, we plan on giving away one or so items. There will never be any monetary requirement. Anyone with access to the internet and this website is eligible to try to win.
Some months we might just have you leave a comment on the Giveaways page to be eligible in the drawing and some times we might require you to compete for the prize by sending in a story or video. Again, these are completely free and all we will require is your mailing address so we can send it to you! These are going to be internationally available so all of our viewers that live thousands of miles away can enter as well. The shipping and handling is on us!
For our first giveaway, we are going with something simple but very important during these Summer months in the Northern Hemisphere where we are. This month we will be giving away three pairs of Moosejaw Sunglasses with heavy UV protection. They are unisex, red and light-weight glasses. All you have to do is enter a comment at the bottom of the giveaways page in between today and the last day of June to be eligible. We will throw everyone’s names into a hat and randomly pick three. We’ll contact you, you’ll send us your address and you’ll have a brand new pair of awesome sunglasses. Remember to protect your skin, eyes, and even lips from harmful UV rays. Proper protection is all a part of staying hungry and fit!
You may also like…
We all have our staples in our fridge, pantry, or freezer. But do they change each season? We’ve compiled a short list for you of foods you shouldn’t go without this summer. Foods that will keep you lean and mean until the first leaf of autumn falls. These foods are perfect for staying hungry and fit!
1. Greek yogurt. If you get the right kind (see: 0% plain Chobani or Fage), Greek yogurt is one of the healthiest foods you can eat! It is packed with protein, helping you repair your tired muscles and also keeps you full for longer. With protein up to 25g, Greek yogurt may provide more than a piece of chicken would! And (if you get the 0% plain–avoid the sugary fruity kinds) it has zero fat , leaving you even more guilt-free. It’s light and refreshing to eat–just what we want on a hot summer day. Don’t forget other benefits like tons of calcium (your bones will thank you!) and live and active cultures that serve as probiotics to keep that tummy healthy! As you can see, I can go on about greek yogurt all day, but I won’t (you’re welcome). You can have this plain, with fruit, honey, atop waffles or pancakes, or even add it to a Mediterranean meal!
2. Avocados. I know some people don’t like avocados, and I just don’t understand where they’re coming from. I’m sorry. It’s just so good. Besides it tasting amazing and being a great snack or addition to a meal, avocados provide your body with a ton of benefits. Avocados have the healthy fat that you want, that your body needs. Even though avocados are technically a fruit (weird, huh?) they carry about a gram of sugar. That’s not very much! What another reason to eat some guacamole! In addition to the awesome healthy fats in this green beauty that help absorb vitamins and minerals, avocados carry lots of fiber–10 grams to be exact! Avocados are perfect for almost every meal (though I must admit I haven’t tried it in my cereal yet)–indulge and enjoy!
3. Mangoes. Another fruit I don’t understand why everyone doesn’t rave over. So positively refreshing with amazing flavor to sink into. Fresh mango is the ultimate snack, you can chomp on it like an apple or slice it up and share with a friend–the perfect summer snack, easy to pack and bring along with you. And I’ve been picking them up $1 a pop! Mangoes are rich with antioxidants that help fight against a wide array of different cancers. These delicious fruits also pack a punch of fiber and vitamin C which help fight against that bad cholesterol none of us want to keep in the body. Another trick of the mango is why it is such a good summer fruit. Mangoes contain certain enzymes that improves digestion so you’re not sitting alone on the beach with a full belly while your friends enjoy the water. Eat alone, in Greek yogurt, or get crazy and have a mango-avocado grilled cheese on wheat bread!
4. Fish. Now I hated fish when I was little. But I don’t feel like that anymore, now I look forward to nights eating salmon, cod, and tuna. And who doesn’t like sushi! Fish is a great way to get protein without all the cholesterol and bad fats you get from traditional meat. It’s a perfect way to stay lean on those beach days and summer nights. It’s a very high-quality protein, rather than that bacon you were going to eat this morning. It’s stacked with omega-3 fatty acids that our body needs to maintain our heart and our bodies cannot produce them by itself. So fry up a fish this summer and enjoy all those benefits.
5. Cranberry juice. And no, I’m not talking about that awful juice cocktail stuff. I’m talking about the real deal, straight from that little berry, no sugar added. There’s nothing like a fresh glass of cranberry juice after a long hot day to refresh you. Besides it’s #1 use of preventing UTIs, this delicious tart juice also prevents dental plaque. In addition, it is a wonderful antioxidant fighting away pesky things like cancer and immune system disorder. So along with your fish, put a cranberry juice in the freezer and enjoy a nice slushy after your day at the beach.
Enjoy these wonderful foods all summer long and reap the benefits! And as always…stay hungry and fit!
BONUS KITTY PIC