5-Minute Protein Pancakes

So I’m still prepping for contest, so I’m upping my protein and lowering carbs somewhat. It’s about two hours before my second workout (just cardio) and my tummy is rumbling. Hmmm…what to eat? I don’t want to eat any straight-up carbs (during this LAST week of contest, I’ll get my carbohydrate grams from other sources like veggies and shakes) like cereal or oatmeal, I don’t feel like having tunafish or a salad, but I could always use more protein. Hmm…oh yes–protein pancakes! I had played around with a recipe before, didn’t quite get it how I wanted it, so I used this recipe and altered it a bit to fit my needs. It’s extremely easy and filled me up without feeling sluggish.

Oooooh yes!

Oooooh yes!

Macros (for 1 serving…even though I couldn’t finish the serving, maybe it’s 1.5 instead)

• Makes: 4 good-sized pancakes (I could only finish 3)
  • Calories: 230
  • Fat: 4.6g
  • Carbs: 19g
  • Protein: 33g

Again, I could only finish 3/4 of this serving, so I didn’t get those full macros above.

photo 3 (4)

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 1 scoop protein powder (I am using MTS Machine Chocolate Whey)
  •  1/2 small banana
  • 3/4 tbsp cinnamon
  • 2 egg whites

Directions

• Put in the (preferably over-ripe) banana in a small bowl and mash to smithereens
  • Next comes the egg whites, stir furiously, in comes the cinnamon to spice up our lives, throw the protein powder and mix, and finally slowly add almond milk and stir. You may not need the whole 1/2 cup or you may need more, you don’t want it too liquidy.

photo 1 (7)

• Cook like regular pancakes on a griddle or a pan on medium-heat. Mine made 4 big-ish ones, takes roughly 5 minutes to cook. Feel free to top with whatever you’d like. I would normally put maple syrup on mine (even maybe some greek yogurt), but not until this contest is over. Some fruit would be delicious too.

photo 2 (5)

Really tough recipe, huh? Took me roughly 7 minutes and I got a whopping 30 grams of protein under 200 calories (because I couldn’t finish it all). This protein pancake recipe is worth it if you’re craving some good flap jacks, but are watching your macros. Even if you aren’t watching macros, this is a delectable snack or breakfast! It still has the pancake feel and taste, and makes us feel like we’re having that traditional drool-worthy breakfast. Use this recipe to stay hungry and fit!

Deeeeelicious

Deeeeelicious

You might also like…

70 Responses to "5-Minute Protein Pancakes"

1. celestedimilla

July 24, 2013 at 8:48 am

5 minutes is faster than it takes to make my oatmeal! I’ll have to try these – they look fab! Celeste :)

July 24, 2013 at 8:53 am

You won’t regret it!

2. Cindy

July 24, 2013 at 9:31 am

I love protein pancakes. They really keep you feeling full. I like to make a batch and store in the fridge. I just reheat and breakfast is ready with no effort 😀

3. Nate

July 24, 2013 at 9:47 am

Thanks for this! So now my girlfriend can say I finally have more variety in my meals LOL! Going to try it this weekend

4. Ada ~ More Food, Please

July 24, 2013 at 10:09 am

What a quick and healthy breakfast! Thanks for the recipe!

5. Kathy

July 24, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Reblogged this on Kathy's Blog.

6. jillianbell90

July 27, 2013 at 10:03 pm

That’s an awesome protein to calorie ratio! What’s the texture like? Do they taste like regular pancakes?

July 28, 2013 at 12:03 am

Texture is slightly different, but they really do taste like normal pancakes. I guess I would say they’re less fluffier?

7. flossy1976

July 30, 2013 at 10:59 pm

Can I use dairy milk instead of almond milk? Have been looking for a recipe for protein pancakes! Will give this a go! Thanks!

July 31, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Absolutely! It will probably just be a little thicker and/or fluffier

8. Pingback: The How-To Guide to Smart Snacking | hungry and fit

9. Pingback: Tricky Paleo Pancakes: 3 Ingredients! | Fun. Simple. Beautiful.

10. Pingback: Chocolate Protein Rounds [No Baking Required] | hungry and fit

11. Bec Mudd

October 21, 2013 at 9:26 pm

I’ve made these twice now and they are fantastic! Just wondering how long in advance I could prepare them, and how long they store for once cooked. thanks

January 14, 2014 at 12:22 pm

I’m actually not positive, but I would say if you kept them in the fridge, you could have it at least for a week.

12. Healthnut Nutrition

November 2, 2013 at 2:34 pm

I love protein pancakes! I also recently made a fall inspired “pumpkin protein pancake” their so yummy and gluten free. I made a video on how to make them on my youtube channel if your interested:) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6eLIAIcPrc&feature=share&list=UUZB32syI0FFtThd6xkPTRrg

January 14, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Yum!!

13. louisjbianco

December 31, 2013 at 10:34 am

I wanted to thank you for your continued support of: louisjbianco.wordpress.com and this recipe looks yum!! To make it cleaner try ETB – Eat the bear protein only 110 calories a scoop. They even have a pancake recipe on site with all kinds like peanut butter and jelly etc… Yours looks yummy!

February 16, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Yum!!

14. Stacy

January 4, 2014 at 9:07 am

I am not sure what’s going on but this was a HUGE epic fail. They are sticking to the pan, they aren’t rising (even with the frantic whipping of the egg whites). I tried a little bit of oil and that didn’t work, tried no oil and they stuck.
    Maybe put in how long you whipped your eggs and if you used non-stick spray, that’s key information needed too. Just suggestion so people like me who are hungry first thing in the morning, don’t waste 30 minutes trying to troubleshoot an issue.
    Thanks

January 14, 2014 at 12:20 pm

I’m so sorry!! That’s odd…mine were liquidy enough that it didn’t stick much at all. I used egg whites as in from an egg beater container. Maybe that would help?

15. Pingback: How to Build Muscle Fast

16. Mariana

January 12, 2014 at 10:47 am

Tasty :)
    Made one and I wasn’t too satisfied with the consistency- almost like scrambled eggs. Didn’t rise like the picture for me either! Not sure what I did wrong?
    Anyways, added 1/8-1/4 cup raw oats and the consistently improved a lot- maybe try it when you’re not doing prep or for whoever isn’t being too strict :)
    Hahah I was laughing because I was like, pffft prep people. How can they not eat it all? So few calories! But I couldn’t finish it either 😛 I added also 1 tsp of peanut butter on top. SO good! Very filling and low in calories- considering I only ate 1/2 the recipe :)

January 14, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Ooh, I gotta try it with the oats!!

• sara burnside

November 12, 2015 at 2:01 pm

No. Something in this recipe is way off, if you follow exactly what it says they come out just like yu guys said.

17. Hannah

January 27, 2014 at 1:51 pm

These look great! I cant wait to try them out.

January 28, 2014 at 8:12 am

Hope you enjoy!!

18. Tiffany

February 8, 2014 at 9:35 am

What does two egg whites mean? 2 servings?

February 16, 2014 at 8:54 pm

The whites of two eggs

19. Jen

February 15, 2014 at 7:44 am

These were awesome! Although I omitted the almond milk completely. I just didn’t need it because the mixture was almost too thin without it. Definitely a must try!

February 16, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Yay!!

20. VP

February 23, 2014 at 3:51 am

Stumbled across your blog whilst looking for a recipe for protein pancakes and was really impressed! I think i overdid the cinnamon but what a great recipe and i feel so full! I couldn’t finish them all either :)

March 25, 2014 at 10:17 am

Ah that’s awesome!!

21. Pingback: New Craving…Protein | Just A Foodie Trying to get fit

22. Debbie

March 4, 2014 at 1:55 pm

Would whole eggs work ??

March 4, 2014 at 2:51 pm

I believe so! Probably be a little thicker

23. Pingback: Silk Helps us Stay Hungry and Fit! | hungry and fithungry and fit

24. ross

March 17, 2014 at 3:31 am

little hint: bicarb soda!! helps heaps not lots though YUM!!!

March 22, 2014 at 10:22 am

Ooh good thinking!!

25. Nathan J.

March 20, 2014 at 1:30 am

can i use normal whole milk instead of almond milk

March 22, 2014 at 9:18 am

Yep!

26. Farah Emara

March 24, 2014 at 5:03 am

Hi! I love these! Tried them a few days ago and they were great. I had a question though. I am out of the house at 6am and so have to prepare my meals the night before. Could I make this at night and then freeze them and have them in the morning or will they not taste good? Thanks!

March 25, 2014 at 10:18 am

I would put them in the fridge, they should be fine.

27. Nathan J.

March 25, 2014 at 10:35 am

I made these twice. They taste great but too dry. Are they supossed to be lik that. Anything i can do to make it moist

28. Pingback: Easy Protein Pancakes | Kissing Chubby Goodbye

29. Nayth

May 28, 2014 at 8:42 am

just made these completely like your recipe says to, they didn’t come out like pancakes more like an omelette? but the texture and taste was beautiful! had a tbsp of peanut butter on top as well, will definitely be trying these again! need my mix to be thicker to get that pancake look though. thanks great mid afternoon snack!

June 26, 2014 at 9:53 pm

Hmm maybe add more starch to it

30. Pingback: Protein Oat Pancakes | hungry and fithungry and fit

31. Sturgmom

July 23, 2014 at 9:37 am

Made these this morning. Added 1/2 tsp baking soda and didn’t add the almond milk at all- they were very liquidy without it. My pancakes ended up kind of dry. Is it bc I left out the milk?

July 30, 2014 at 7:32 am

It could be

32. shekelly

March 8, 2015 at 6:57 am

These aren’t very good. Too dry .

March 8, 2015 at 9:01 am

Sorry to hear that! Maybe try using some of the more wet ingredients as in more banana or almond milk.

• Kelly

April 8, 2015 at 10:40 am

Help! I did the recipe as exact and mind keep burning and sticking

33. sarah

March 29, 2015 at 3:35 pm

Mine failed to epic proportion. …. not enough dry ingrerients to make it a pancake, how big is your scoop of protein?

November 9, 2015 at 7:48 pm

We used MTS Nutrition protein for this specific recipe. The serving is 34g. Anything less or more would definitely change the structure. You might notice a few comments above that someone mentioned their pancake was too dry; it’s definitely based on the protein powder serving size. Hopefully, you can find a scoop that works for you!

34. Nadia

August 2, 2015 at 7:00 am

Thank you for the recipe! My husband is very picky but he loved these! Made it this morning and will definitely make them again. Very yummy,filling and have so much protein! I didn’t have bananas at home and used unsweetened applesauce instead of it. It was delicious!

November 9, 2015 at 8:39 pm

I’m so glad to hear that you enjoyed them!

35. Pingback: 053 – Building Lean Habits with Georgie Fear | On Air With Ella

36. leanne

November 9, 2015 at 9:12 am

this is a horrible recipe… the pancakes don’t stay together because there isn’t enough dry ingredients

November 9, 2015 at 7:45 pm

Hi Leanne, if you’re looking for something more along the lines of a fluffy pancake and less of a crepe, you’ll definitely need to make sure you’re using a larger serving scoop of protein. We’ve heard that a lot of people use this recipe with mass gainers and its come out even better. What protein were you using?

• r

December 5, 2015 at 7:25 am

I’ve made something similar with raw oatmeal instead of protein powder. So i’m thinking if you add oatmeal and protein powder with about 1/4 t. of baking soda they would be “cakier”.
        I also add banana, cinnamon and sunflower and pumpkin seeds. Soaking steel cut oats overnight and using those will also add a nice texture.

37. Jamie

January 5, 2016 at 10:27 pm

I tried out this recipe after searching amongst the results of protein pancakes. I have to say they weren’t too bad! I mean its no regular fluffy pancake but its better than I expected. I topped them with peanut utter and honey.

38. Pingback: 4 Ingredient Protein Pancakes – minilifts

39. Kelly

April 3, 2016 at 1:26 pm

The only problem with these is now I want more! 😀

40. Reece Strong

August 16, 2016 at 7:15 am

When you say 1 scoop protein powder how much is that?

August 25, 2016 at 10:22 am

Hi Reece, it was one scoop of MTS Nutrition Protein Powder, which is approximately 32 grams. We can’t guarantee results with other protein powders but if you do use a different brand and it comes out well, let us know!

41. norton

September 17, 2016 at 3:54 pm

u use the word scoop, what do u mean 1/2 cup, 1/3, or 1 cup, please be clear to lay man language. i would love to try it, seem yummy.