Chocolate Oat Apple Crumble
I have an unfortunate sweet tooth. I try to curb it, but sometimes I don’t. Sometimes, however, I think in advance and then make something that’s sweet, but still on the healthy side. That’s when Smitten Kitchen inspired me! Jasmine is a very close family friend who turned me on to “crumbles” very early in my life–particularly apple crumble. This recipe calls for very few ingredients so I decided to give it a go. It was really easy and made the house smell wonderful! I made a Chocolate Oat Apple Crumble and my sweet tooth was absolutely overjoyed without killing my health.
- 1/2 cup oats (I would double this, personally)
- 1/3 cup chopped dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 apples
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F
- Cut up the chocolate and the apples
- In a small bowl, combine the chocolate, oats, maple syrup and salt
- In a skillet, melt butter (use medium heat) and then add the brown sugar
- Once combined, add in the apple chunks and cook for 5-8 minutes until soft
- Pour the oat mixture over evenly, trying to cover as much as possible
- Put into oven for 20-25 minutes
- Eat hot!
I have to admit that I may or may not have finished this whole thing by myself! I know, I’m bad. But to be fair, it’s not a huge portion. After making this the first time, I would like to double the oats for next time. This recipe is quick, delicious, and nutritious. I also love the versatility of it: you can use dark chocolate, milk chocolate, apples, pears, and so forth. Recipes are the best when you can really make them your own! Make this recipe to stay hungry and fit!
BONUS PUPPY PIC