Back in college, I did two service trips to New Orleans. That is where I discovered this magical things called beignets (French for “donuts”). There’s nothing like them really, and I always get overexcited when I get to eat them. Although there’s nothing like getting them fresh and hot from Cafe du Monde (original place in New Orleans), it’s still a treat to be able to have them from home. This isn’t going to be a complicated recipe. No, instead, I used the actual box mix that Cafe du Monde sells. Chris got me 3 boxes of them for Valentine’s Day last year. This product gets a full thumbs up.
- Prep Time: 7 minutes
- Cooking Time: >1 minute
- 2 cups Cafe du Monde beignet box mix
- 7/8 cup water
- flour for unsticking purposes
- powdered sugar
- Stir together the 2 cups of the mix and the water until it is all bound together
- Heat up a deep pot or skillet with an inch of oil in it. Turn up the heat!
- Flour a cutting board and your rolling pin and roll out the mixture until it’s around 1/4 inch
- Then go ahead and cut it into a little bigger than 2 square inch pieces. It was all a rough estimate for me.
- As soon as your oil is hot (I don’t have a thermometer so I dropped water in to see if it would sizzle), drop those bad boys in. They shouldn’t need longer than 2 minutes
- Take them out and dry them
- Pour copious amounts of powdered sugar on them and then STUFF YOUR FACE!!
At least, that’s what I did. I couldn’t even finish them and Chris wouldn’t help me because he wasn’t hungry that early. I had tried making these before and failed horribly. It’s taken me awhile to try again and I’m glad I did because they came out pretty darn good. Not as good as Cafe du Monde, but that was never a goal. Go ahead and treat yourself with a box of this magic. We found it at World Market near us, but look it up! And as always…stay hungry and fit!
BONUS KITTY PIC