You know what day it is–Wednesday! The day I bring some form of treat to my co-workers. It was a toss-up today between glazed cinnamon scones and another healthy version of brownies. This won out this week! It looked slightly intimidating, but it was fine once I got rolling. Similar process in making the scones as in my mum’s. I substituted a few things like put less sugar and added in whole-wheat flour to make it a little more healthy. These are delicious. They simply crumble into your mouth as you bite into it. The cinnamon settles nicely with the texture–it’s a keeper. Let’s try it out!
- 2 cups flour (1 whole-wheat, 1 regular)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 heaping tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tsp milk
- 1/2 tsp maple syrup
- Let’s first start with the scones. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F and grease up a baking sheet.
- Get out a big bowl and put your flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in there. Cut the butter into the dry mixture until it gets crumb-y.
- Separate the egg and put the egg YOLK in a separate bowl along with the sugar, milk, and lemon juice. Mix that up.
- Add this to the dry ingredients and mix it until it combines (don’t overdo it)
- Flour up a surface (I use a cutting board) and put the dough you’ve made into a ball on the surface
- Knead it into around 1/2 inch thickness and then cut into eight pieces
- Place the eight pieces on the baking sheet
- Take out the egg white and whisk it until frothy. Brush it onto the scone pieces
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle over the egg-whited scones
- Put in oven for 10-11 minutes
- While it bakes, let’s make the glaze. Mix the powdered sugar, milk and maple syrup until it forms up properly into a glaze
- When the scones are done, let them cool a bit and then drizzle the glaze over
Once you get rolling, you won’t stop! There may be one or two less scones going to work tomorrow because they perhaps made a way into my stomach. Oops? I hope you enjoy this recipe and use it to spread happiness all around! Keep baking to stay hungry and fit!
BONUS KITTY PIC