Cinnamon Crunch Whole-Wheat Banana Bread
Well, the bananas went black again. And you know what that means…banana bread! But instead of doing my typical recipe, I did something based off this recipe. I changed it up a bit, for example, no frosting. This recipe has plenty of fiber and not much sugar for a banana bread recipe. I was excited to use it and change it to fit my needs. So you can go ahead and feel guilt-free about eating this delicious banana bread. Let’s get to work!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Ingredients (for the bread)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 heaping tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup turbinado sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 3 bananas
- 1/3 cup greek yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Ingredients (for the cinnamon crunch)
- 1/4 cup turbinado sugar
- 1 heaping tsp cinnamon
- First, of course, let’s pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease up the pan of yours, I did a bread pan, but you can also do a casserole dish
- Mix together the flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon (the dry stuff) in a small-ish bowl
- In a separate and larger bowl (this is where everything will end up), put in the sugar (1/2 cup) and butter (make sure it’s at room temperature or at least close) and then mix it up! I used a whisk and my power arms.
- Then, add in the eggs
- Before this next step, you need to mash up your bananas to smithereens. Once you do that, go ahead and stir the bananas in along with the yogurt and vanilla extract.
- We’re getting there! Now slowly stir the dry ingredients into the wet bowl
- Hooray! That’s the batter. Now, spoon half the batter into your dish.
- Next, you want to stir your sugar (1/4 cup) and cinnamon (1 tsp) together for your cinnamon crunch
- Now we want to put a good layer of this cinnamon crunch on the batter that is in the baking dish. And then layer some more batter on top.
- And then, we want to put another layer of the cinnamon crunch on! Then top it off with that last bit of batter you have. Then sprinkle the rest of your cinnamon crunch mixture on top. It’s layers of deliciousness
- Phew! That was a lot of hard work layering! Now put into the oven for 40-45 minutes. Stick in a long skinny thing like a tooth pick or skewer to test if it’s done.
It’ll have this nice crunchy layer on top with the usual delicious banana bread below and then some cinnamon swirls . Let it cool for at least 10 minutes before you tear into this! This is a great healthy alternative for dessert for Thanksgiving! Give it a try, it really is a easy, healthy, guilt-free recipe. Use this recipe to stay hungry and fit!
BONUS KITTY PIC