21-Day Shred Time

So it’s the last three weeks of prepping for my contestand it’s time to shred! I’ve been doing really well eating and exercising, working hard (except for my little ice cream vacation). It just so happened that at this time, I saw that celebrity trainer, Ashley Conrad, had a 21-day “Clutch Cut” programPerfect. With my main coach, Chris (aka Hungry), giving me the thumbs up to do this program, I was excited to get started. Click on that link and you’ll see the program. It’s a lot of high-intensity stuff, cardio, lifting, and nutrition. You need all three to make a difference.

Building up my back and shoulders

Building up my back and shoulders

I just finished Day 3 which was a rest day. I’m not a huge proponent of rest days for myself during this contest, especially on week days, but I did the best I could. All I did on Day 3 was run a mile and do some core. No lifting. Day 1 was an intense circuit with 15 minutes of HIIT (high-intensity interval training) on the treadmill. All in all it was probably a little over an hour for the workout.  And it was good. I would love to do this with my clients. I would recommend it to anyone who’s trying to build muscle and burn fat. Here it is:

• Clean and press
  • Overhead med ball throws
  • DB rear lunge
  • Pushups
  • Bench dips
  • Sprint in place
  • Bodyweight squat
  • Lat pull down
  • Med ball jumping jacks
  • Incline pushup
  • DB curl
  • Lateral raise
  • 1 arm row

photo 1 (17)

For pictures and instructions, check out the link above. For this circuit, you are supposed to do 4-6 sets (I only had time for 4, but got a killer workout) with 30 sec rest in between (I didn’t take the rest to increase cardio). It was great and hit all parts of my body. Two days later, my hamstrings are still sore and those are sometimes hard to hit for me so yay! There was also a core circuit at the end you can check out.

Day 2 was a killer cardio workout. I used the treadmill (she says you can use treadmill, stairmaster, bike, or whatever). It was 25 minutes of intervals:

• 60 second walk
  • 30 second jog
  • 60 second sprint

It was important to put your all into this and I did. I did so much so that I had a headache for the rest of the day and was exhausted (oops for working out early). It really worked me hard, and that’s what HIIT does, which is why I LOVE it.

photo 2 (12)

For the nutrition part, I’m just doing what I have been, eating clean: lean protein, complex carbs, and healthy fats. Keeping me strong and healthy. She says to go gluten-free, but I don’t completely do that. I’ve followed my plan and it’s working well this program. If you’re looking to build muscle and cut fat, do this program! I’d love to have someone to do it with anyone for the next 3 weeks–the more the merrier! Use this Fit-approved program to stay hungry and fit!

You might also like…

20 Responses to "21-Day Shred Time"

1. Jenny Baird

July 12, 2013 at 9:31 am

Thanks for posting this! Very helpful!

2. LifeBuildingBlocks

July 12, 2013 at 10:23 am

Reblogged this on LifeBuildingBlocks and commented:
    Who wants to do this 21-day challenge?? She’s on day three. I will try to post as she progress as well as my journey through these 21 days

• hungryandfit

July 12, 2013 at 10:10 pm

If you’re doing the same 21 day journey then good luck to you too! We’re curious about your progress as well

• LifeBuildingBlocks

July 12, 2013 at 10:13 pm

I’m looking at what it entails now. I’ll let you know my progress!

3. Cheweyyy

July 12, 2013 at 8:33 pm

I actually want to give this a try. I’ve been battling with my weight and managed to lose approximately 9 kg in the last year, but that was just from cutting down on junk food and watching what I put into my system.
    I see what you recommend for burning fat and building muscle and I think I might be able to manage it hopefully. I know it wont be easy, but it does not sound too intimidating . Thanks for this post, I believe it will really help me out.
    Wish me luck,
    Cheweyyy

• hungryandfit

July 12, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Good luck Cheweyy! Stay strong and every bit of effort will help you reach your goals! Start with one or two rounds and eventually four or five rounds will seem like nothing. Keep us updated with your progress :)

• Cheweyyy

July 12, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Thanks for the kind wishes and support:). I will be sure to keep you updated.

4. Tammy

July 13, 2013 at 8:26 am

You go girl!! You look GREAT!! Keep up the great work. …! :)

5. Pingback: Building Muscle & Losing Fat (Myths of Fitness) | hungry and fit

6. Cheweyyy

July 18, 2013 at 8:11 am

This going well, on day two now! Had to use a cross trainer though for the cardio (the treadmill hurts my knees :( )
    So far so good. I hope I have the discipline to keep this up!

• hungryandfit

July 18, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Cross trainer is great! As long as you are doing the intervals. Love to hear the progress. KEEP IT UP!!

7. Cheweyyy

July 18, 2013 at 8:12 am

Btw guys one more thing, sorry to bother you with this, but I know you will give me an honest opinion on it. I am using muscle milk as a supplement. I drink some before I exercise and afterwards. Is this a good idea or am I simply wasting my money?

Regards and Thanks,

Cheweyyy

• hungryandfit

July 18, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Muscle milk is a great starting supplement. Better for post-workout rather than pre, but as long as you’re getting the protein in after, that’s alright. I hope it’s chocolate!

8. Cheweyyy

August 8, 2013 at 11:29 am

Dropped 3.5 Kg! Did it the healthy way as well!

9. Pingback: Weekly Workout Round-Up and Plan | hungry and fithungry and fit

10. Brittany Vanderlip

April 26, 2014 at 9:01 am

Hey, I’m not sure if you’ll see this post considering that your review was posted almost a year ago 😛 But I’m just about to start this 3 week program and I was wondering what your results were like?
    I’ve put on about 10 pounds at school after working out so hard during the summer and now that school is just about over I want to lose these 10 pounds I’ve put on.

Thanks!

• hungryandfit

May 1, 2014 at 10:44 am

I definitely lost body fat percentage. It’s a great program